Saturday, September 18, 2010

Introducing Alexa Grace!



We just got home yesterday so this is my first chance to post...Alexa Grace was born on September 14 at 10:11 am via c-section. :) She weighed 6 pounds 8 ounces, was 20 inches long, and has quite a bit of very dark hair! (Nathan and Kenna both have/had very light hair!)

I'm totally and completely head over heels in love with her. :)

I haven't even pulled pictures off my camera yet so I will have to post later with the pics and birth story. In the meantime, my c-section recovery is going pretty horribly. The first couple of days actually weren't so bad and then everything got worse. I didn't expect that. I pretty much am dealing with every single thing that "may" happen after a c section with the exception of incision infection: My body is completely swollen, I have a horrible back ache that makes it unbearable to walk without heavy pain meds, my stomach feels like it will fall out unless I wear some kind of brace, it has hurt terribly to urinate ever since they took the catheter out and I have extremely painful breast engorgement.

I've been trying to breastfeed but it's overwhelmingly painful despite the fact that probably 15 nurses and lactation consultants have assured me I'm doing it right. Right now I've resorted to just pumping for a while and I'll decide later if I want to try to feed directly. I am producing a ton of milk so I definitely don't want to just throw in the towel without giving it to her. But I started dreading every feeding because of the pain so I decided it's just not worth it to put myself through that in the midst of everything.

I will post more later but right now am just not up to much. I still am glad that I chose the c section because in the chance that an induction would have led to this and recovery would have been even worse, I couldn't have survived it!

10 comments:

  1. OMG she is GORGEOUS!!!!

    Congratulations!!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful! Sorry the recovery is not easy, I had to wear the brace too. It will get better, but I know how you feel! Please email/call me if you need help with the breastfeeding and I can come help you if needed. If it hurts, you aren't doing it right, unfortunately just because the baby is getting plenty does not mean it's easy for you or comfortable for you--and that needs to be amended, otherwise most women will just give up due to the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, she is beautiful! Hope your recovery goes as quickly and smoothly as possibly from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, she's beautiful. :) Congrats again!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's gorgeous!

    Glad you made it through. It's tough but it will get better.

    Sending much love from Florida to you--

    k

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a total cutie!! I can't wait to meet her. I hope you are feeling a little better. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! Hope you are feeling better.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! She is gorgeous!!! I hope you feel better soon!! Hugs to you all, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is gorgeous! Congratulations!

    I'm sorry you're having a rough recovery. :( Are you swollen from the fluids you were given? I was very swollen in my legs and feet and felt like I'd always be that way. (I wasn't).

    I'm sorry too about breastfeeding...I also was like that and I WAS doing it right. I think it's a bunch of baloney when they say if it hurts you aren't doing it right, at least at first. I ended up with every trouble in the book and then some (mastitis, thrush, blocked ducts, some weird itchiness that drove me to the brink, etc.). The only reason I actually continued (aside from being stubborn) was my fear of engorgement if I stopped. :( I was so engorged in the beginning and it was just way too painful. Around 6 weeks it really did turn around and I would say I nursed half the time and gave her a bottle half the time (but often that was because Charlie wouldn't actually let me nurse her without potentially harming one or both of us with his toddler-ness). But I did have to pump a lot in the beginning..actually after every time I nursed her. So I was always attached either to her or the pump, it seemed. Hang in there if you can, but if you can't, DON'T beat yourself up about it.

    I look forward to hearing the birth story and I hope you start feeling much better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRADULATIONS! She is just beautiful! It's been a long road for you and now your right, the mountain peak is over and the healing and adjusting can begin.

    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete