Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Final Doctor Appointment

I had my final appointment this morning, at 39.5 weeks. I went in having mentally conceded that the c section was the right decision for me...UNLESS I have made cervical progress. If I suddenly was dilated/effaced/etc. and an induction now looked like it would have a reasonable chance of success, I would go for it. I had a lot of contractions and pressure last night and thought there was a possibility something had changed.

The verdict: No progress. She could feel the head and said that maybe I was a little softer, but nothing that would lead her to consider it a favorable induction at this point. She'll even check me before the c section on Tuesday just in case something dramatic has happened but she said that is really unlikely this late.

So a c section it is. 5:30 pm on Tuesday (the 14th). I have to be there at 2:30 because she thinks she can get me in a little early.

I have made some peace with it, feeling it is the best decision I can come to. I guess I will always wonder what would have happened had I tried the induction, but I can live with it.

Last night I finally broke down and took a Sudafed (I try to avoid anything while pregnant but it is on my doctor's list of "OK" if you have to). It allowed me to sleep for the first time in 3 days. I desperately needed that for my sanity and feel much more human today. Most importantly, Bryan's parents were kind enough to take Nathan and Kenna all day yesterday, overnight and today so I could recuperate. I couldn't be more grateful. They are so incredibly generous with their time. When I woke up this morning and realized I didn't have to get the kids up and find the energy to entertain them today, I just about cried. Seriously. It's gotten really tough to manage 21 month old twins while super duper pregnant. :) So today is a better day. Some clarity with the decision to just do the c section, cold is starting to improve, I had sleep finally, and I have a break from the kids. If I can just make it to Tuesday everything is going to be OK. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you're so close - awesome. I can't imagine how hard it's been to keep the twins busy and happy while also pregnant - my 27 month old keeps me so busy I barely have time to look up! Good luck on Tuesday : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. will cross everything i can cross on Tue!!!
    I am sure you would have loved a vaginal birth but look at the positiv: you experience pregnancy when pregnancy was a non-option. You will welcome a healthy baby girl into your family.

    what can be better than that??!!!!!!

    PS: i agree with Karma - i can only imagine what twins are like when NOT pregnant - Tay keeps me on my toes like unbelievable and I only get to spend VERY limited time with her!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it! I knew you would reach the point of feeling better about what ever decision you chose! You chose right for you! You will be fine and your baby will be out instead of in sooo soon! My second born, Matthew, my gift from God, was born on September 14th, 15 years ago...special day for special baby's! Hang in there..you are doing GREAT!!!!! Bug hug, Donna

    ReplyDelete