Monday, August 30, 2010

The latest in the saga

Things couldn't be more unclear after the appointment today.

Ultrasound showed...baby head down. Again.

No effacement. No dilation.

Based on what I've told the doctor about feeling the baby being transverse a lot of the time, she thinks the reason for no effacement/dilation is that she is slipping back and forth between head down and transverse. For other people at this point she said she would think that the lack of progress was due to something else more temporary and that she wouldn't question going into labor, etc. In my case, based on what I've been feeling, she said that I may well not make progress at all because the baby is so inconsistent. That's why she said that if I did an induction, I would have a high likelihood of failure (ending in c section anyway). So she gave me to options.

1. Keep the c section on Tuesday.
2. Cancel and schedule an induction in my 40th week (probably September 15 or 16).

She really couldn't recommend either way. She said it is really up to me and how important it is to try for a vaginal birth. She said that I should consider what is my worst case scenario - if a c section is the worst, wait for induction. If a failed induction is worst, go for the c section.

I HAVE NO IDEA! I basically left it with her that if she didn't hear otherwise, I will be there for the c section next Tuesday. If I decide on the induction, I have to call tomorrow to schedule it and cancel the c section.

I truly have no idea what to do. I'm less freaked out than just annoyed at this point. Here are some considerations:

1. I asked her if my endometriosis could cause complications with the c section. She said it could if I have adhesions she has to cut through but she has no idea until she gets in there. It could mean the risk of damage to an organ or something is higher. But she said she wouldn't consider this a major consideration and she would think about the other preferences first.

2. What if all this time I've been thinking the baby is transverse and I've been WRONG?! If the baby truly went head down a couple of weeks ago and has been head down since then, it would be considered "normal" and I don't think she would be so worried about a failed induction. So all this concern is based on what I THINK is going on in there? I have NO confidence I know at this point! What if I'm on the road to a normal labor and have a c section instead based on my own misinformation?

3. It's very tempting to just do the c section next week because I want to be done being pregnant more than anything in the world. But I also want to make the best choice.

4. My worst case scenario is a failed induction. My best case scenario is just going into labor. But in order to schedule a c section in advance you can't just wait until after your due date, decide the baby isn't coming on its own and call for a c section the next day. If you could, that's what I would do. It's basically next Tuesday OR induction. (Assuming I don't go into labor first.)

5. I have no idea the likelihood of going into labor on my own between now and the induction. But if I choose the induction date and have to actually be induced I would be really really freaked out about it. It's not like you can just change your mind that morning and say, "nope, want a c section!"

If anyone has an opinion, please comment. Because I seriously don't know what to do. Your guess is as good as mine.

For what it's worth, I did get to see a lot of Alexa on the ultrasound. She had a cute little face and was sucking when I saw her. I got measurements on her for the first time and she is measuring about two weeks behind. They weren't concerned at all, she's just a smaller baby. She might be built very differently than Nathan and Kenna, who are both tall! Her estimated weight is 6 pounds 3 ounces.

7 comments:

  1. I am sorry you are having this dilemma. If it were me, I would go for the scheduled c-section. But that's because I had a failed induction. Can you schedule the c-section later than next Thursday and give yourself more time to go into labor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. a lot to think about.

    I have to admit though that ultimately (if I was pregnant) I would go for the vaginal birth IF its safe for you and the baby!!!

    to be able to experience vaginal birth must be the ultimate after all you have been through!!!

    but again...whatever is safest for you and the baby!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my two cents--I would wait and go for the induction. My feeling, and this is just my personal feeling, is that if she is head down, eventually you probably will go into labor, it just hasn't started YET. I don't think that's out of the norm at all, and since you say your mom went late, you may very well go late too. If you choose C section on Tues, you are 100 percent going to have surgery on Tues. If you choose to wait for your due date to pass and possibly have an induction, assuming you don't go into labor, then you are only partially at risk of a c section. It's better odds of avoiding surgery to wait. Also, successful vaginal birth is statistically safer than a c section, so that's something to consider. Either way, she will be here soon--enjoy these last few days or weeks being pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gut is telling you to wait. See what happens. If she's not in any trouble, your doing okay, then why do it? Your scared to death of the c-section anyway right? So just wait and see if she'll come along naturally for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Induction involves an IV, whereas c-section is surgery. I'd try and avoid surgery if possible; Ivy kept flipping until the last minute too, and I am glad to have avoided c-section...

    Either way, you end up with your beautiful baby, so this decision should only impact you for a small period of time.

    p.s. can you post another preggo pic. I haven't seen you in weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm....regarding #5..I'm not sure they'd object to you trying for a reasonable amount of time and choosing a c-section while you still had some energy. But I don't know your doctors.

    My feeling, after having done an induction that failed and then ending up with a c-section, is that I wish I had waited and not done the induction. I have NO idea if it would have ended up differently (probably not...genetics point to a c-section in my family), but I wish I had had more patience towards the end. Easy for me to say now, since I am not very pregnant like you are. It's so uncomfortable and painful, I know. :( You can't wait for it to be over.

    HOWEVER. A c-section truly, truly, truly is not the end of the world!!! I know for some people it feels like that. I went into labor feeling pretty certain that I might end up with one and I was really o.k. with it. That probably helped me. But really...if you end up with one...it doesn't mean you failed or that your baby wasn't born "right." Or that you will have an awful recovery! If you need it to be over next week, you need it to be over.

    I hope you feel at peace with whatever you decide. I cannot wait to hear about you meeting your baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, sounds like your in a dilema. I am a big advocator for trying vaginally. Can you move the c-section date to the 41 week mark. Remember due dates are only accurate within 2 weeks, 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after. So a week after the due date is not that bad.

    There are some things you can do to do a more natural induction as well....

    Sex, well actually sperm is a natural inducing technique...sperm contains a hormone called prostaglandin in its natural form.

    Or if sex is out of the question or not working, how about going the synthetic route. Doctors can put a cream on your cervix made with manufactured prostaglandins. It's suppose to help ripen your cervix and possibly start labor.

    In fact there are many ways to try to naturally induce your labor. Here's a great website I found with a TON of ideas...40 ways to induce labor.

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Ways-to-induce-Labour-Naturally

    Good luck....the recovery from a natrual birth is SOO much faster and easier than c-section...if you can go a vaginal birth, it'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete