Sunday, August 29, 2010

9 days until c-section...

Well, tomorrow morning is the last ultrasound to check for position. I'm not even sure why we are doing it at this point...even if she is head down at the time of the ultrasound, the doctor said we would "talk about an induction while we can catch her in that position" but it would have a 60% chance of failure due to no cervical progress to date. Well, if that is still what she tells me, I will request the scheduled c-section. So head up = c section, head down = c section. I already know she is still flipping around all day long, so the ultrasound to me is doing nothing but looking at position at that particular moment.

That said, I've been reading a lot online about dilation, etc., and it seems to me that it's not unusual at all to have no dilation/effacement/etc. with your first baby before labor. I had concluded from my doctor that this meant an induction was 1) necessary and 2) likely to fail. So there is a small doubt in the back of my mind about what she is giving me as choices. Honestly at this point I don't really want choices because it's too stressful. I've been wrapping my head around the c section once again and it will almost be a relief tomorrow if the ultrasound makes it clear she is still not in the right position because then there will not be any discussion about ambiguities with next steps. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just counting down 9 days until c section.

I've been praying, praying, praying for peace about the whole thing because I've been so stressed about the surgery. I've been feeling some better the last couple of days so I hope that continues and I can confidently arrive at 7:30 am Sept 7 without bawling hysterically, which is my natural tendency. :)

In the meantime, I seriously can't figure out how I can be pregnant another week. lol I can hardly walk at this point, have aches and pains all over, have to rest half way up our stairs, wake up every two hours all night, and of course I continue to throw up every morning. I know, woe is me. :) But really, I'm trying to look forward to the c-section so that I know I will be on the path back to normalcy very soon. I'm disappointed that the recovery will be so long, but I'm using Halloween as my mental benchmark. By Halloween it will be a couple of days off from 8 weeks and by all indications that should be a full recovery if there are no complications. I LOVE the month of October so I'm hoping that during that time period I will just be happy with fall, college football and planning costumes for Halloween! I'm already reading about good post c-section exercise plans and am feeling very motivated to get into better shape than ever. I have to say that I'm not someone who has embraced the giant pregnant belly, so I'm thrilled to get back to my normal size. I HATE exercise normally but I'm hoping that getting back to normal as fast as possible will be a better motivator than I've ever had. :)

More news tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. I was just roaming around the internet and came across your blog.

    c-sections suck...especially when they are unnecessary. A primary cesarean has an impact on all future pregnancies and deliveries. It limits your choices and increases your risks of problems in the future.

    I had a baby that was stubbornly breech until she flipped on her own at 39wks. She was born a week later...I had not dialated at all until about 3-4 hours into labor.

    Anyway...sorry for any intrusion into your blog. If you need/want more information including info on planning a family friendly c-section if it comes down to that www.ican-online.org is a wealth of info and has online recpvery support groups for women who have had cesareans and info/support for women planning future pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetheart! I haven't commented in a while but I've been following faithfully. I wish there was something I could say to set your mind at ease about the c-section. Here's my experience -- pls use as it helps and ignore otherwise!

    I had one, and honestly-- it was fine. Although I was always ok with it, on the day of surgery I admit I did get very scared. But truly -- it was fine. In surgery the anesthesiologist could see my anxiety and offered me a muscle relaxer, which helped. Perhaps you could discuss the possible need for this ahead of time? Good advice I got -- and took -- was to take my pain meds on time, regardless of how was feeling -- you don't want them to wear off! That said, the pain was manageable and by the time I left the hospital I was up and around just fine.

    I had mine on a Tuesday. Friday morning was Belle's heart surgery, and the hospital was so full they couldn't even round up a wheelchair to take me down to her. The surgeon was coming out to tell us about the operation (Mike was down with her, I and my mom were waiting in my room for word.) Anyway, with no wheelchair, I hoofed it all the way across the hospital, down the elevator, across the street through a special tunnel, moving really fast so I wouldn't miss the surgeon. No one could believe I could move so fast or so well. But I was motivated! I also moved fast so I wouldn't notice what I was doing, if you know what I mean. My point is, I felt I had to do it, so I was able to. I honestly feel (hope!) that if you can go in knowing it will be ok -- it will be! I was in decent shape and bounced back quick, and you will too. It will be tough for you because you have two toddlers who won't understand why you can't pick them up. It was tough for me because I went to the hospital every day to see Belle. There was no time to just lie around and "recover"! You just do it!

    No, it isn't your first choice. But the most important thing is to get your precious girl out here and have both of you safe. I will be thinking of you and praying for strength and peace for you as the day approaches. Best of luck!!!

    You probably don't want to hear any more advice or experiences, but if you do feel free to email me. katedaphne17@gmail.com.

    Love Kate xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could add something useful, but since I can't, just know I am thinking of you each and every day. I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A scheduled c/s is much, much better than one as a result of a failed induction. I know it's scary, but you can do this. Just imagine all that you have already come through- infertility, twins, etc.

    ReplyDelete