Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sitting, Crawling and Sick!

We have been very fortunate that the babies have only been sick once since birth - when they were three months old they had a cold for about 3 days. Well, cold #2 is now under way. It started with Nathan sniffling, then I got sick, now Kenna and we are all three a mess. I have it worse than they do fortunately (I have the additional thrill of throwing up too, which they don't seem to have). Kenna had a 102 fever yesterday but we gave her tylenol and it brought it down. The only thing worse than 2 sick babies is being sick yourself at the same time! I feel really bad for them not being able to blow their noses on their own. I keep using the nose sucker thing but with as much as I blow my own nose I know they must be miserable.

I'm pretty sure we brought this home from the church nursery, which is where I think we got it last time. No more nursery for a while.

I've been posting about how Nathan has been entering new crawling phases and finally pretty much perfected the one knee at a time thing. Well, if he was at 90% ability before, I can safely say this morning he hit 100%. Crawling before was a thing of necessity for him. He would see something he wanted and find a way to crawl to it. But this morning he went exploring all over the house on his own, for the sake of exploring. I watched in awe as he crawled across our hard wood floors, through the kitchen (where he never has tried to go) and around the dining room with no problem. No falling to his stomach and resuming, one long consistent Christopher Columbus style exploration. :) Wow, you can guess what we will be doing today. I never thought baby proofing would suddenly become so urgent. The way our house is, it's hard to baby proof. We have an empty room in the entry way that I have wanted to turn into a playroom eventually and now is the time. We've picked out a cool wall storage system and rug to start and Bryan is going to go pick it up today. I'm really excited to do something with that room.

There is such a difference between this age and the first 6 months or so. Today I'm sorting and putting away all their old close, breaking down swings, putting bouncers and tummy time things in the garage, etc. It's a whole new stage. I need to go buy some new types of toys for them ASAP. I really feel like we have little kids now and not babies! It's really exciting.

Lastly, I think we can also safely say this is first week when BOTH babies are sitting up for long periods of time on their own! It's amazing! Here are some pics:





A couple of other updates...Kenna is constantly saying "mamamamamama". OK, I know that she isn't referring to me but it is so clear when she says it with a big huge smile that it melts my heart anyway. It is SO precious. I can't even imagine when she says it for real what it will be like. Lastly, our babies are really starting to "argue". Nathan wants whatever Kenna has and immediately grabs it away. If she grabs it back he doesn't care, but when he takes from her she cries immediately. Very different personalities. :) We're working on "No" but it's not very effective thus far!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry you guys are sick! I hope it passes soon, there is NOTHING worse than sick kiddos. We have only had it a few times also, thank God.
    I can't wait to see your room you are turning into a play area. I wish we had the space for that. My house seems to be getting smaller and smaller by the day. Good luck with proofing too! We are STILL trying to do all of it..they find something new to get into everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some great pictures you got there! They are growing up so big, your right, their almost not even babies anymore!

    Sorry your sick...your right, it's hard when the little ones are sick and you are healthy to take care of them, a whole other story when your sick too....hope your all back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how exciting! This is a great age too. :) Can't wait to see them in action sometime soon! And the mama thing is really cute. Both of mine said dada first! Did you get it on video? Pretty soon they'll be clapping and waving bye-bye! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope you guys feel better soon! Colds are NO fun!!! We are blessed with a baby that doesnt get a fever but she sure had her share of colds for the first 6 months and boy do i feel for you with TWO babies and you being sick!!!
    GO NATHAN GO! I hear you about baby proofing. We have been meaning to do this for at least 1 year and now I think it's to late. We just have to hope that Tayleigh doesnt realized the kitchen floor hurts when you hit your head!! (she has NO fear!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ours both have colds right now too, and it's no fun at all. Plus they HATE those nose sucker things!
    Good luck with the baby proofing. We had to do ours all at once too. The boys just sort of decided one day "well, guess we'll crawl now" so we had to hurry!
    Have fun...it's such a fun age!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, Kenna is just BEAUTIFUL! LOVE that second photo. And Nathan is, of course, so handsome! What beautiful babes. Our babies are also starting to take toys away from each other and we've also started using the word "NO" a lot more! They're growing up!!!

    Oh, I'm so jealous about "mamamamama" -- that must sound so amazing!

    I'll be interested to see what kinds of new toys you get for Nathan and Kenna. I feel like we might need new toys soon, too, but I don't know what to get?

    I think it's so neat how our babies are going through similar things - I love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete