Friday, December 18, 2009

Nathan and Kenna are one!!

Yes, it's true, last week my little babies turned one! I feel so great that we have somehow figured out how to raise two babies from birth to a year. I can't imagine having been less knowledgeable about babies when they were born than the two of us were. It sort of blows my mind we have managed to figure things out and all four of us are happy and healthy. :) I have to say I'm excited now about this new phase of their lives - entering toddlerhood! It's so fun to see how they are developing cognitively right now. It's amazing.

That said, their first birthday didn't pass without a few feelings of sadness. I'm a really sentimental person (Bryan would write "overly dramatic" instead of sentimental), so the night before their birthday I totally felt like it was a big moment. I knew when I put them to bed, they would wake up and never be considered "babies" again. I put them to bed that night and when I walked out, I definitely felt the pangs of "my babies are growing fast". I know, I know, technically it is just one day of a difference, but the birthday makes it official. :)

We had a birthday party for them on Saturday and it was SO much fun! I was STRESSED leading up to it. We had about 50 people here, including adults and kids, and I just had no idea how it would all go with so many little people. I'm relieved to report that everything went great! We had pizza for lunch (N & K both had a piece too!), then we opened gifts, then we had cake, and that was it. We had a Pooh 1st party theme, since it was gender neutral. The highlight of the event was the cake eating. Bryan is going to edit a little video for me to post. Nathan picked up the whole piece and ate it like an adult would eat a banana. LOL He just kept it in his hand and kept smashing more into his mouth. Kenna took the plunge and put her face straight into it on her tray after figuring out she couldn't easily pick little pieces off. Nathan's face was so covered in cake and icing that at one point my mom became genuinely concerned that he was unable to breathe!! I had doubts leading up to this party that we should have such a big event but I must say that it was worth the stress, money and planning. We had a really great time and it was so memorable. It's true, first birthday parties are more for the parents than the kids, but that's OK! It was just wonderful to be surrounded by our close friends and family to celebrate that WE MADE IT!

I will post first bday pics ASAP, and also I have some big news to write about...Nathan is WALKING! More on that to come soon, but I want to go ahead and get this one up. :)

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on Nathan walking! Wow! That happened fast! The party was a lot of fun. I felt so privelaged to be a part of their big day. Kind of made me sad that we'll be living in China for a lot of their future birthdays. :( It was really special to see the four of you together. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! I know it has been a difficult but wonderful, magical year for you. With many more to look forward to!!

    kate
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWOWOWOW...time sure flies!!!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATHAN and KENNA!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 1st Birthday N & K (and mommy and daddy too!) Such a great milestone - welcome to toddlerhood. It has been a VERY exciting and fun time - you have so much great stuff ahead.
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 1st birthday Nathan and Kenna. And mom and dad, whew, you made it! I remember your posts when they were newborns, and now well, your a mom to two healthy happy toddlers!

    I'm glad you had a great day, will be fun to see that cake video.

    ReplyDelete