Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Putting the bottles away

October has just flown by! We were all sick for a week, then my parents were visiting for a week, then we were on vacation for a week, then I was catching up on work for a week after 3 weeks of being off schedule...and here we are in November! I'm long overdue for an update. But a full one will come soon. This is just a small one.

This morning I realized that I need to catch up on reading what key things I should be doing for the babies in this age group. It's easy to get into such a routine that you figure you know all that needs to happen, and that's where I've been for a couple of months. But, my little babies are older babies now and there are some changes I need to start making to transition them to the next stage - things like moving 100% to cups rather than bottles, focusing more on labeling objects, working on simple instructions with them, helping them practice walking (not just when they decide to cruise on something), etc. I made a list of a bunch of things I feel I need to start doing more mindfully and put it on my desktop. :)

As of yesterday, they are now only drinking from sippy cups. After I put them to bed for their nap just now, I started to gleefully put the bottles together on the counter in preparation for storage, joyfully reclaiming that counter space (enough space for so many bottles per day with twins is a lot!). Just as I was about to scoop them all into my arm to place in a big bag to put away, it hit me. No more baby bottles. Ever. That's it. I will never again feed my babies a baby bottle. My heart started to pound and my eyes welled up with tears, just like they are as I write this. I never used to understand why moms got emotional about their kids getting older, as there are always new things to look forward to. But my heart is practically hurting right now as I realize I'll never again hear those sweet sucking sounds on their little bottles. Then I started thinking about how they are almost a year old. In another month they will have already had so many of their "firsts". I can't believe that time is already behind us.

I put all the bottles away...except two. I have to hold and feed each one of them this afternoon with their bottles one last time! I think I'm having a much harder time letting go of their bottles than they are. :)

2 comments:

  1. Take a picture of that last bottle feeding. We always remember and record the "firsts", but so often forget to remember their "lasts". They are growing up, but you'll always have the sweet memories of their infant days, plus the excitement of what is to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still give Addie a bottle in the morning and before bed - and she's 16 months. I figure around a year and a half I'll start weaning those last two bottles, starting with the morning one first and then finally, the nighttime one (which is her very, very favourite thing in the whole world...except mommy and daddy!) My doctor didn't make a big deal of stopping the bottles at 1 - she said it doesn't have to be that rigid at all, but to do it when it feels right for both of us.
    I will miss the nighttime bottle too - it's special cuddling, quiet time : )

    ReplyDelete