Friday, October 9, 2009

Kenna LOVES this signing thing...

As a brief update to yesterday's post, Kenna absolutely loves signing milk now! This is the cutest thing ever. While eating her cereal this morning she kept stopping, looking at me intensely to see if I was watching, and forcefully signing milk. LOL I want to reward her for her efforts right now to solidify the connection so when she did it I would give her a few sips of her milk (I normally wait until after solids to give the bottle so they eat everything). I would take it away then she would eat a few more spoons then sign milk again! She has the cutest look on her face when she does it, like, "I can't believe this is actually working over and over!" Now I have to figure out how to tell her, "I understand what you are signing, and am glad you are communicating with me, but you can't always have what you ask for." Does anyone have a sign for that? :)

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome that she is doing so well. From my experience, I would say that you would take this opportunity to teach the "More" sign. When she signs milk first - you give her some. then when she signs milk again, you can say something like "Oh you want MORE milk?" With the emphasis being on the MORE sign. That way you are still conversing and acknowledging but pushing the conversation along. MORE is such a great sign to intro at meal times and they catch on super quick.

    Way to go Kenna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Sarah's advice as well. E got to the point where he'd sign "more, milk, please" all at once. She understands what you are saying when you say "milk" outloud and that it means the same thing as the sign for milk. So, when she signs milk you can say, "Right now we are going to eat some more food, (and sign more eat) and then I will give you some milk (and then sign milk as you say it)." The point is she CAN understand you, but now she also has a way other than fussing for you to understand her. Go Kenna! It's such an amazing thing to see them try to communicate, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete